Indonesian news website in English
- The Jakarta Post : the leading English newspaper in Indonesia. Good coverage of news (but usually with a 1-3 days delay compared to newspapers in Indonesian). The point of view of the authors can be quite liberal for Indonesian standards and may not represent the majority opinion in the country. Still a great start. Near half of the articles are behind a paywall now.
- Tempo English : Tempo is primarily the reference weekly magazine in Indonesia (see below). This is their news platform. It provides short and very factual coverage of Indonesian news. Good if you are looking for a neutral point of view.
Indonesian news website in Indonesian
- Kompas : in my opinion the best daily newspaper. I buy the paper edition from times to times. Also available as a TV channel.
- Detik : probably the most popular online news website. The coverage of breaking news is very reactive which sometimes leads to some mistakes.
- CNN Indonesia : the Indonesian edition is quite good. Also available as a TV channel.
- BBC Indonesia : topics are usually addressed with plenty of details. Well-worth reading.
- Tempo : national leading weekly news magazine. 2 different editions exist, one in Indonesian and one in English.
- Mongabay (Indonesian version offers many exclusive and interesting content) : a great website dealing primarily about environmental issues. Many reports about local issues in remote communities. Their investigation serie ‘Indonesia for Sale’ is truly outstanding journalist work.
- New Mandala : an online media focusing on South-East Asian issues. Regular interesting articles about Indonesia.
- The Conversation (Indonesian version offers many exclusive and interesting content) : many articles by scholars on various topics. Can be quite interesting.
- Indonesia at Melbourne : many articles from scholars from the University of Melbourne.
- The Diplomat : an online media which publishes some articles about Indonesia. The authors changes a lot and the quality as well, but they always issue a few interesting articles per month. Annoying 5 free articles per month limitation.
- Inside Indonesia : an online magazine written mostly by scholars.
- Lowy Insitute : an Australian think tank providing regular insights about Indonesia-related issues.
- East Asia Forum : an online media edited by Australian academics focusing on the east Asia and Pacific region. Some articles can be interesting.
- South China Morning Post : the leading Hong-Kong newspaper has good local correspondents and can issue quite good articles about Indonesia.
- Gunung Bagging : a treasure trove for those keen on hiking volcanoes : GPS tracks of most trails + active comment section.
- Gunung-Indonesia (in Indonesian) : up to date information about open and closed trails for volcano climbing.
- Tripcanvas Indonesia : a generalist lifestyle website that posts good to-do lists of places to visit especially in Java, Bali and Lombok.
- Wikitravel : a collaborative Wiki about traveling. Really useful to find cheap accommodation and transport.
- Lonely Planet forums : an old-school forum with some very knowledgeable active members.
- Jakarta100bars : most comprehensive source about nightlife.
- US army’s maps of Indonesia.
- Pelni : public inter-province ferry transportation, with prices and reliable schedules.
- ASDP : public within-province ferry transportation, with prices and unreliable schedule.
- The article about boat travel in Indonesia will probably be a useful complement.
- Tiket.com : a private website acting a 3rd party re-seller for plane and train tickets. Efficient and good customer service. Traveloka is one of the reliable alternatives.
- Nias Heritage Museum : excellent website about Nias cultural sites.
- Visit Nias Island : a great complement to the museum website.
- Wild Sumatra : a local eco-tourism agency based in Sungai Penuh, offering trips to Jambi and Bengkulu provinces. Run by passionated Luke Mackin. Tons of information and pictures, great both for those looking for a tour guide as well as independent traveler.
- Mentawai.org : plenty of information about traditional Mentawai culture.
Bali and Nusa Tenggara
- Kalender Bali Digital : an online Balinese calendar giving you all the ritual special days and ceremonies (in Indonesian).
- Sumba Information : a great website about Sumba tourism and culture.
- Geneviève Duggan’s website : lots of very interesting information about Savunese culture.
- Flores Tourism : a great website by Flores tourism board.
- Asian Textile Studies : many information about Sumba and Pantar islands (as well as Kisar in Maluku).
- Bombastic Borneo : edited by a Malaysian Dayak. Tons of information especially about Dayak festival all over Borneo.
Papua and Maluku
- East-Indonesia : a very comprehensive website about Maluku and Papua by Laszlo Wagner.
- Stay Raja Ampat : really comprehensive website about local accommodation in Raja Ampat.
- Pusaka collection : an incredible online museum of traditional woven textiles of Indonesia
- Art of the Ancestors : a very interesting kind of online museum about Indonesian tribal arts, curated from various museums. Excellent newsletter.
- Ethnologue.com : a fantastic online version of a book about the languages of the world. Fascinating language maps of Indonesia.
- Aural archipelago : a great project making field recordings of traditional music available online
- Timescape Indonesia Youtube channel : many short films shot in Indonesia before WWII.
- Lontar foundation : a Jakarta-based foundation promoting the Indonesian culture, in particular by translating Indonesian litterature into English.
- Tantomo : an Indonesian blog archiving Benny&Mice cartoons
- Kamus Besar Bahasa Indonesia : the most comprehensive online Indonesian dictionnary (no English translation)
- Bahasa Kita : tons of excellent articles by linguists
- Ruang Indonesia Bapak Bataone (in Indonesian) : good articles by, I presume, a Japanese expatriate
- Belajar Bahasa Indonesia : lots of points explained in a clear way
- Starfish : lots of information about diving in Indonesia
- Petites bulles d’ailleurs (in French) : the website of a French journalist that often goes diving in Indonesia
- Ronny Valstad Photography : a photographic journey through Indonesia by a former Norway embassy employee.
- Imperfect Frames : portraits of Indonesians by French photographer Marius Moragues
- Claudio Sieber Photography